soalr SMPS part 6: the prototype

 At least we got to this stage. All designing work is done, PCB is designed, parts arrived, time for assembly. As usually it wasn't smooth sailing.

Assembly

When assembling I run out of 22uF 0805 capacitors. Due to global chip (and other electronic parts too) shortage then only models available were 50 cents / pcs. With 12 caps on board that'd be 6 euro just for filtering caps. Not in hackers spirit. 10uF 0805 caps I was able to acquire at 3.5 cents / pcs figuring I can just stack two on top of each other to get better filtering. My chosen MOSFET wasn't available and I had to switch for BUK4D38 which has both higher gate charge and Rdson. Finally silicon wafers' price spiked increasing solar panel prices few times. I hope they'll drop soon but in meantime I want to make it going on panels I already have and what I have is totally incompatible with original project requirements (19V MPPT voltage) so will have to work far away from it's maximum power point.

First power up

I soldered everything, turn the board on and see LED light up. Happy to see it working I measure LED current and I see it's constantly on. How is that possible?! It turns out my synchronous rectifier blew itself up. For some reason both MOSFETs turned on at the same time. Nmos being cheap, low power part gave up first, blowing out short, Pmos permanently shorted itself. Found, Pmos replaced, Nmos removed. For testing non synchronous converter will suffice.

Testing

After this replacement output converter worked. Connecting bench PSU as battery and changing it's voltage I checked that duty cycle changes and output current is kept constant. Shorting jumpers also increased brightness as expected. I couldn't measure efficiency as LED was already in place, I'll have to do soldering next board.

Input section

Next I got to input section. At first I was worried why my LED doesn't turn on when I disconnected solar cell emulator. It turned out I set up input voltage so low that battery voltage coming back to input was high enough to keep input switched on. My obvious mistake, I even pointed out in my notes that MPPT voltage has to be >5V for it reliable switching off charging. After readjusting input trimmer LED started working again, it even kept input voltage at constant level independent of illumination level (tracked MPPT).

Efficiency

Everything seemed find until I tried measuring efficiency and realized that battery current is almost equal to solar cell current. Scoping input MOSFETs switching waveform I found sawtooth waveform with few ms period. Clearly it's not expected hundreds khz switching. Not wanting to debug it on low currents I ramped up solar illumination to full sun and ... it started working!. It turns out that at low input currents input capacitance is too big and loop has such fast response time it over/underflows duty cycle counter making converter behave like crazy. I need to pinpoint the problem and fix it in next firmware revision.

Flashing

I assembled working version and set it up next to front door to make sure there're no other bugs. And sure enough I found one. When LEDs turns off due to too low battery voltage current consumption drops, reducing voltage drop on internal resistance. In consequence battery voltage rises and LED turn on again. This flashing cycle can continue for over and hour until battery discharges fully. 

I took it home for a week long holidays and found that it discharged battery to 2.3V, clearly something is drawing too much power In everyday use case it isn't much of an issue but it means lamp can't be left alone but like most commercial counterparts requires battery removal for winter.

Final thoughts

Will there ever be next revision? Hard to say. I'm not very happy with current performance but it kind of works as a gift it was originally meant to be. Severe lack of time and problem with access to semiconductors is also demotivating. Currently I'm not planing on working any further on this project but maybe one day I'll get back to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Active Eurorack Busboard Part 3

External Cavity Diode Laser - part 1: optical path and mechanical design

PCB holder 2